Saturday 26 April 2014

Fit for a Princess! - Crochet Edged Receiving Blanket


 When my brother got married (a few years ago now) my Aunt gave a shower gift wrapped in tea towels, I LOVED the idea!  I have to admit I've used the idea a few times myself for wedding gifts, as well as used receiving blankets as wrapping for baby gifts.

I think its a great idea to save a little paper (or when you forget to pick up paper!) and still give a beautifully wrapped gift.

 Last week I went a baby shower for a soon to be arriving little girl, and I not only used my Aunt's idea again, but I one-uped myself!  I decided to add a little crocheted trim to the edge of a store bought receiving blanket :)



It's a small little detail that gives the basic blanket so much more!  I hope it adds a little smile to her Momma's face when she sees her little princess wrapped up in the blanket that was made just for her (even if it started out as a blanket for commoners! HA!)

So now I'm sure you're thinking that you need to fancy up a blanket or two ;) Right?!?!  Well you're in luck because I'm going to share with you how I did it step-by-step! Yay!!!!

First, you need a steel crochet hook (I did my first blanket with an aluminum hook and I found it bent a little and was hard to work with, the steel was much stronger and easier to poke through), some fine yarn (I used Red Heart Luster Sheen in Lime because it was a perfect match to the green in the blanket) but any fine yarn should work, as well as the blanket you'd like to embellish (mine was in a 'Garanimals' four pack from Wal-Mart).


To start, pick anywhere along the edge of your blanket under the finished edge to poke your hook through.  


Next, pull your yarn through as a slip stitch (slst)


Using the crochet hook, poke another hole next to your first and pull the yarn through and single crochet (sc) being careful to keep the stitch along the outer edge of the blanket.


Continue sc along the edge of the blanket making sure to keep your stitches as even and uniform as possible (you could measure out your holes first using a ruler and a washable fabric maker, but I like to live on the edge!)  until you reach the beginning, join with a slst

Your next row (which I managed to miss photographing, sorry!) is a row of sc around, joined with a slst.

Then, ch 4, skip first 3 sc, join with a sc in 4th st, repeat around, join with a slst.

 

Final row: sc, hdc, 3dc, hdc, sc, in each ch 4 space around, join with a slst.


There you have it!  A beautifully edged blanket to give to a new mother as either wrapping for a gift, or as the gift itself because, let's face it, this blanket is a beautiful gift in itself!

Go ahead and give it a try, as always please let me know if you have any questions, I will try my best to help out!  

If you do try it out, please let me know!  I'd love to hear form you!


I've linked-up with Make It and Love It
http://www.makeit-loveit.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/link-party-button1.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!
- Jenn







4 comments:

  1. Love this idea! This is such a beautiful way to add a personal touch to a store bought item. I have seen this technique used to add edging to pillow cases and it looks adorable. Great idea and thank you for the step-by-step instructions. Pinning to use later :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked the edging! Actually the pillowcases were my inspiration :) I hope you try it out!

      Delete
  2. LOVE the crochet tutorial and what a great idea! I don't crochet but I might one day!

    ReplyDelete